Wednesday 30 January 2013

I NEVER SAID THAT!


A friend of mine stated that my blog consisted of some anti-Chennai posts. I told her I was offended. How could she after she knows how much I'm entwined with Chennai and its charm. I was born here in the heart of this city. Back then I lub-dubbed my first heart beat here and my first words consisted  of a few syllable specifically “Kuwah Kuwah Kuwah...." -but now Chennai has taught me to speak( a variety of words, some of which, if heard by my Mom she would give me the kneel-down punishment),to be patient, to be sympathetic, to keep ticking to its tune, to be curious , to forgive, to always make space for others, to learn, to be busy, to take time out and to want life with all its might. This connection with Chennai is there in my birth certificate and it will be there in every facet of my life forever-INVINCIBLE. It’s just the masked evil lurking around this city and spoiling its unique personality that evokes my anger.

The Raj Bhavan hotel where I argue with my father about politics over a weekend coffee, the marina beach which beckons me to dip my feet in it even when I'm busily driving by, the Kuvam River highly polluted yet ready to take more of Chennai's domestic wrath while continuing to add identity to the city, the kebab shops in Meesarpettai roads, the Basha Halwa stall’s Dhum Ka rot from Jaambazaar (ya the alwa with the "H"),Velu military Barotta and Salna, the Pondy bazaar street shops, the Burma bazaar thiruttu DVD, the kind lady who live in a hut with her family near my bus stop and gives me water from an old Kelvinator fridge whenever I feel thirsty walking to my stop, the school girl who gets up from her seat in bus to give place to an elderly grandma, the cyclist who goes along the corner of the street to not to erase the Marghazhi Kolam drawn on it, the lorry driver who pulls up his vehicle to the side of the road even when the signal is cleared to give way to an ambulance, the Police uncle near T-Nagar who forgave me for driving into a one-way road, the crazy fans who do paalabishegam to movie stars ,my granddads cemetery, my school, my college, my best friends, my childhood, my family’s history ,my favorite cousins etc. have bound me immensely with this gorgeous city with an invisible firm rope. The city has made me cry by its sheer madness and consoled me with its pacifying hug to live on, no matter what life may put forth. Chennai is a place where I feel safe even out of my home. Where people from other places see Chennaites as a nosy interfering crowd I see concerned neighbors who want to find out if I am OK .On returning to Chennai after a long journey I get the feeling of hearing my mom’s anklet tinkling as she comes to feed me soup during my sickness.

More than the history or political significance or economic settlement, the people here are the mere essence of Chennai. They make Chennai the city it is today- a city which gives an home to any lost soul, healing them by its capacity to mother any stranger as its own. Proof-Around 21.6 %( 937,000) are migrants in the city, 74.5% were from other parts of the state, 23.8% were from rest of India and 1.7% were from outside the country. The fact that it is still affectionately known as Madras around the world shows that no one is ready to ever forget the phenomenal past affair they had had with the city.

Lonely Planet (Travel guide book and Digital media publisher) describes Chennai as” lacking Mumbai's prosperity, Delhi’s history or Bangalore's buzz. Even the movie stars are not that hot”. I would say that all cities in India put together cannot exhibit the quintessential humanity that Chennai has never failed to offer even to its enemies. Where else in this country can you find rice flour Kolams which are drawn on streets primarily to feed the sparrows? As for the actors-with lesser looks, no six pack, zero dancing skills and  absolutely negative degree of hotness, Rajinikanth has overthrown every other Indian actor to rank second in Asia’s highest paid actors(next to Jackie Chan) just with his breath-taking style and iconic dialogue delivery.

So before you can claim something wrong about this city stop a moment and look around-you will definitely find someone to help you clarify.

"Vandhaarai Vazha vaikkum Thamilaga Thalainagaram" – Anonymous

P.S: The places listed above are true and are my suggestions for an exquisite local cuisine experience! 





No comments:

Post a Comment